Please take the time to write or email your local members of both State and Federal Parliament and tell them all or any of the following:
- The effects of BPD are severe:
- 10% of people with BPD will die by suicide
- The life span of a person with BPD is almost two
decades less than other Australians
- People with BPD have among the highest rates of drug and alcohol use, poor physical, sexual and reproductive health and high levels of unemployment.
- Better training and knowledge among GPs, hospital emergency department workers, psychiatrists, psychologists and other clinicians working in the mental health sector is needed in Australia
- A national BPD telephone support and referral service is a critical and sorely needed step forward in accessing treatment for this mental illness
- The Clinical Practical Guideline for the Management of Borderline Personality Disorder, developed by the National Health and Medical Research Council (2012) must be implemented across Australia as a priority mental health initiative
- Every person with BPD and their families should be able to access adequate clinical care from their public mental health service
- With the correct diagnosis and appropriate, evidence-based psychological treatment, people can and do recover from BPD, and go on to lead full and productive lives
It is also critical for politicians in Western Australia, South Australia, the ACT, Northern Territory, Queensland and Tasmania to get behind the establishment of a dedicated BPD specialist service for their states, such as the ones that NSW (Project Air Strategy for NSW).
If you have your own personal story about journeying with BPD – either as someone who has BPD or as a family member or carer of someone with BPD - we urge you to share your thoughts and concerns about the lack of resources and services available with your local politicians and the Federal Minister for Health, the Hon Greg Hunt MP, PO Box 6022, Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600.
If you find it difficult to craft your own letter or email, you can still participate by completing one of the pre-prepared letters here on our website.